Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Open Box: Coastal Scents [Pic Heavy!!]

Suuuuuper excited when I got out of class today and my boyfriend messaged me saying my massive box of makeup got here!

So I rushed back and found a bright hot pink box marked "FRAGILE" sitting on the kitchen counter!

This is an open box post; I will be showing you the products that I ordered and my initial thought of them!


Box was SUPER cute, and the colour was a gorgeous shade of hot pink! 


The products were packaged very neatly, and very professional looking. Nothing was damaged during shipping; quality of packaging is quite high.


First, it's the 22 piece brush set. This set comes complete with almost every brush you'll need to finish a full face look. The brushes are a mixture of natural hair brush and synthetic fibre brushes. I was extremely surprised by how absolutely SOFT these brushes are. I have previously ordered Coastal Scents brushes, but they were nowhere NEAR as good as these ones! Really excited to try them out. 



The smaller individual items came really nicely wrapped up in Coastal Scent's tissue paper which I thought was very pretty. I had also ordered some individual brushes that were not a part of the 22 piece brush set, but are useful when I'm working with clients. Alongside, I've also picked out their shadow primer, gel liner (WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE WONDERFUL COLOURS THAT THEY USED TO HAVE~?!?) and some hotpots.


The individual brushes are again very very soft, they're made to be really good quality and are very professional looking! These brushes have silver ferrules rather than black ones that the 22 piece brushes have and they look more or less like MAC brushes. The white blending brush is especially similar to the MAC 217 brush. 


The Coastal Scents hotpots are their version of the refillable eyeshadow pans. They are the exact same sizes as the MAC single refillable eyeshadows and they will fit in the MAC Pro eyeshadow palettes. I do personally like Coastal Scents eyeshadows, but more for the neutral colours. They give a fairly good colour payoff but they're not incredibly pigmented as compared to MAC or MUFE...(although there are certain colours in the Coastal Scents selection that have amazing pigmentation as well; I've chosen some bright colours to try this time and I hope they work well!) They're a little bit less creamier than the MAC eyeshadows, but again it depends on the colour that you've chosen and the formula that they've used to make the product. Coastal Scents also makes an empty MAGNETIZED 28 slot eyeshadow palette, and it's retailed for approximately $10; a very good option if you're looking for affordable palettes to store your MAC or Coastal Scents eyeshadows in.


I decided that I wanted to try their eyeshadow primer, and I actually did dab a bit of this on the back of my hand when I opened the package...it felt a little bit oily and runny, and what it did was when I tried to layer an eyeshadow over it, it did make the pigmentation more intense, but it's more like...powder-sticking-to-liquid-sticky-to-the-touch kind of intense and not a dry intense payoff from the shadows. I don't want to be too judgemental on this product before I fully put it to the test yet, but I'll let you all know later. 



Last but not least, I picked up the the 28 neutral palette. I do a lot of pageants and bridal work, so most of my clients are looking more for emphasizing and changing the contouring of their features instead of colour. Since the pigmentation is a medium payoff, that works out well in terms of neutral colours; it makes it buildable and very blendable, and more importantly it give a subtle and meticulous wash of colour instead of intense pigmentation. I've yet to try this palette out, but I have high hopes of it, and it should fit really nicely for the needs of most of my clients. 

Other things that I wanted to mention:

I am NOT affiliated with Coastal Scents in anyway. I have purchased every single item with my own money, and I was not sponsored or paid to advertise for Coastal Scents. This is NOT an advertisement! I am giving my honest opinion and feedback about these products and the reviews are written 100% in my own words!

Shipping was fairly quick. I live in Toronto, these were shipped through Florida. I got them in the mail in about less than a week which was really good considering Toronto was sort of hit with Sandy as well. I did get charged custom fees, which I've never had in the past couple of times that I've ordered from Coastal Scents, but it's not really an issue to deal with the company. Again, nothing was damaged in the mail, all of my products were in perfect condition! If you have any questions you're more than welcomed to leave me either a comment, or to email me directly. 

Thanks for reading guys!

Happy Weekend~
Helen.










3 comments:

Wow that's a lot of products. Definitely interested to see a full review on the eyeshadow primer.

Are you still offering free make up sessions Helen ~

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More